From Sydney to Istanbul

Catherine McKimm, who worked in Australia 30 years as a lawyer and  then emigrated to İstanbul to teach English, talked to İLETİM.
 AJANS ÜNİVERSİTE - Nuran ATIŞ
How was your life in Australia ? The life in Australia was good, I was a lawyer it's a great job,  we had 4 children and we lived in a medium sized small city in Sydney  I had my own business there we had a  fantastic life but my children all left home and we decided to travel, it was a comfortable life, life in Australia is very expensive. I  had a good job, we had a comfortable life. I think the Australians are very finly and generally relaxed people but it's a small country.

Did you had a culture shock ? Not really beacause we travelled so much, you know we travelled a lot in Asia. Turkey is very westernized so we felt very home here when we first arrived.
Do you like the traditions of Turkey ?
I like so many things about Turkey, for example the tradition of Aşure. We have a neighbour who brings the food Aşure. I love so many things, Turkish people are really kind and helpful you know, when we first came here we felt very welcome by Turkish people and really accepted . Turkish people I think are generally very open minded.  They accept other cultures, so it makes easy to feel accepted here, the culture shock wasn't an issue. My husband got a leg and everywhere in Turkey people looked after him, it is really nice but in the West it is not the case.

How was your experiences at Istanbul University ?
I was there for two years. I worked at first at Istanbul Şehir University, it was good, the facilities were fantastic. We had computer,great fotocopy great access materials but I had to work hard for Money there. I loved working at İstanbul University, the students were really nice, some classes were difficult because it is  a high intrance school. I love the students it was interesting at Şehir University because there was more division between native english speakers and turkish teachers. I think that was more native speakers at şehir in İstanbul were fewer native speakers but the turkish teachers at İstanbul were just amazing. Istanbul University has not the same facilities but it was much better.
What do you think, when you compare the students in Australia and Turkey ?
The students are generally much more respectful than Australians because that is something like culture differences. You still feel respect of young people for other people and so the students are firstly more respectful but the intelligence is the same
What do you think, when you compare the job as a lawyer and a teacher ?
I had much more fun as a teacher than a lawyer. I know teachers still work very hard but lawyers work much much harder. As a lawyer I worked 60-70 hours a week, it was very stressfull. If you make a mistake we have got often a lot of money at risk. You got somebody's liberty in your hands, so the responsibility was much much greater than being a teacher. When you are teaching you are not dealing with problems, you are  given the students something, a life style.

Yorumlar

Popüler Yayınlar